PCOD is a term that most females are familiar with as it is a condition that affects a female’s ovaries. On top of that, the reproductive organs produce estrogen and progesterone hormones that help to regulate menstrual cycle. However, these organs also produce a small amount of relaxin, androgens, and inhibin.
According to a survey, 10% of the female population in the world is dealing with PCOD. This is a disease caused by hormonal imbalance which skips the menstrual periods. Moreover, it is tough for a woman to get pregnant. In order to unravel interesting aspects of PCOD let’s head towards the following points.
PCOD – Polycystic Ovarian Disease
Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) is a medical condition where females deal with irregular menstrual cycles. This is due to the ovary’s production of partially mature or immature eggs in massive numbers. With time eggs become cysts in ovaries and cause trouble.
Throughout the process, the ovaries expand as it becomes larger than their usual size. After that, it secretes a large number of male hormones i.e. androgens which cause irregular menstrual cycle, infertility, abnormal weight gain, and hair loss. Fortunately, PCOD can be controlled by lifestyle modifications and diet changes.
The Common Signs Of PCOD Problem:
There’s a fact we all should know some females experience the symptoms around the time of their first period. On the other hand, some women discover this issue when they experience unexpected weight gain. Some common symptoms are listed below for your ease:
- Acne on the upper back, face, and chest
- Hair loss – hair on the scalp will get thinner and eventually fall out.
- Skin darkening – visible around the neck, under the breasts, and in the groin.
- Irregular monthly cycle
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Frequent skipping or absence of period
- Elevated hair growth – face, belly, back, and chest.
- Male-pattern baldness
- Uncontrolled weight gain
- Sleep disorders
Also, Watch on Video on What is the main reason for having PCOD ?
Primary Causes Of PCOD:
According to doctors, the exact cause of the PCOD issue is unclear. However, experts believe that PCOD can have environmental and genetic causes. But this health issue usually occurs due to the following reasons.
- Multiple (OTC) supplements and medications.
- Unhealthy lifestyle (Diet plans)
- The sedentary lifestyle
- Hormone altering medication
There are different causes which stated that PCOD runs in familiar and it can be hereditary. The researchers have found different physiological causes that will boost the possibility of developing PCOD.
- Inflammation: different physiological reasons might cause low-grade inflammation in the human body. Moreover, the mild forms of the “autoimmune disease usually create inflammation in the body tissues. As a result, a person will notice an increase in androgen levels that causes PCOD.
- High androgen levels: there’s a male hormone that is related to the elevated growth of facial and body hair. It is also responsible for skin issues and acne outbreaks, whereas it boosts the possibility of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- Excess insulin production: rare people know that insulin is a natural hormone that is produced by the pancreas. This hormone helps to regularize the common metabolic functions of the human body. Besides that, it also regulates blood sugar levels. The doctors have stated that the higher level of insulin in our body is the vital key driver to PCOD/PCOS. The boosted level of insulin also prompts our body to enhance the production of the male hormone (androgen) that inhibits ovulation.
Hormonal Disruptions Of PCOD:
The experts have stated that evident neuroendocrine features the regulation of abnormal ovarian follicles. It develops PCOD/PCOS that increases the luteinizing hormone (LH) pulsatility for amplitude and frequency that is relatively low FSH secretion.
But there’s nothing to be worried about as combination birth control pills are incredibly helpful. However, you should consider getting a doctor’s assistance and getting yourself diagnosed. Therefore, the combination of birth control pills contains both progestin and estrogen which decreases androgen production. Besides that, it also regulates the estrogen that enables you to get positive outlets.
The Bottom Line
PCOD stands for Polycystic Ovarian Disease which can be cured with professional assistance. However, the exact cause of this health issue is still unidentified but lifestyle and diet changes can work wonders.